Monday, June 15, 2009

Relay for Life

So this past weekend was our local Relay for Life, which I participated in for the first time. I joined the Clearview Elementary team (Ashley & Shannon's school) at their request, and only afterwards did I find out that BOTH of Shannon's 5th grade teachers were also Cancer Survivors!

We had a great day on Saturday with the entire Clearview team walk/running to raise money for fight against Cancer. Not only was it Marnie & myself out there, but both Shannon and Ashley got into the swing of things themselves! They each walked/ran over 8 miles .. and had a good time doing it! There were so many other kids out there, friends from school supporting other teams, people from softball, around the community it was truly awesome seeing the whole Herndon community come together for this event.

Saturday night was a bit wet and we didn't make it through the night, went home got a few hours of sleep and came back early with donuts & coffee for those from our team who kept the baton going through the night! The girls wanted to spend the night, but this being our first year and me still not up to snuff, we weren't ready. Next year however, we are there for the haul, and look forward to seeing ya'll out there with us, one way or another!

At this point, thanks to the many generous contributions we crushed my goal raising $3,285, the Clearview Team has almost double their goal raising $6,898 and the entire Herndon Relay for Life had 787 participants, raising $183,945. It was truly an awe inspiring event just as a person, let alone as a cancer survivor!

Special thanks to those who did come and walk with me during the event, your presence lifted my spirits and lightened my load. I am truly blessed to have people like you in my life and words alone can't express the Thanks and emotions that I feel. Hope to see you all out there again next year!

1 comment:

  1. Rog...glad to see that things are starting to "normalize" some. I believe that's all anyone that goes through something like this can hope for, to get back to some sense of normality, to be the way things use to be before the big "C". I can't imagine what you went through, and hope you never have to go through it again! See you soon on the road, or at a meeting - D

    ReplyDelete