Monday, March 9, 2009

First day of Chemotherapy

Well Day One of Chemotherapy is coming to a crashing close.. but wanted to get some thoughts down before I sacked out. First is thanks for all the thoughts, prayers, emails, food, offers, etc that have poured out, especially the last couple days! Have tried to respond to them and I'm sure I missed some.... sorry! All of this concern, support and prayers continue to be highly appreciated, welcomed and desired.

Had a great full regular day on Sunday, a friend from out of town was visiting, so picked her up from the airport and she spent most of the day with us, before heading down to her hotel for training this coming week. We all went and met some people for an early Motorcycle planning breakfast at Amphora's, yummy food. Then the girls went bike riding with our good friends from softball that afternoon, my Mom flew in later in the afternoon and whew! It was a good day, just on the go and tired last night, slept in fits upstairs, but decent sleep.

This morning was a usual Monday rush to get the girls to school and me to Chemo. It was a long day of sitting around doing a whole lot of nothing! The staff was all very friendly, helpful and making the best of a challenging situation. They started me around 9am with the anti-nausea medication and we left around 4pm, this is due to them pushing a lot of fluids IV along with the chemo drugs, to avoid an kidney issues. Combine that with a diuretic, they gave me and I have been making frequent trips to the restroom all day long! LOL

Had a great dinner delivered tonight by the Rider's but dang if I didn't experience one of the general dealing with Cancer issues. They say to eat more smaller meals rather than the traditional 2-3 large ones. Well now know why.. felt like I had a brick in my gut from the large delicious meal. Forced me to get out and walk in the fresh air, to keep dinner down! So a good thing, everyone went walking, but I feel like I ran a 10K now! LOL In the future will have to make sure I eat smaller portions spread out to avoid a repeat, especially as the level of drugs increases over the course of treatment.

So all in all not a bad day.. very different, boring, tiring (even though I was just sitting around!) but the first major chemo day in the coming 9 weeks down and only 14 more to go! Tomorrow will be interesting with getting all 3 drugs.. so will try and write tomorrow night.

3 comments:

  1. Hello my friend! I just got back into town - went to Orlando for a conference and then to Bike Week for fun - that's right - we rode our bikes down (3 of us). It was great and you can get some feeling for the fun on my FB account.

    I am all caught up on the blog and am happy things are going along well'ish. Keep the faith, know that you are in my prayers and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger, we have not met but after all that I have read I certainly look forward to having the opportunity to do so. Your courage, sense of humor, and commitment are inspiring. Besides I have not met a single malt drinker that I haven't like. Hang in there, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Dave T

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cisplatin will tire you out, more than some of the other drugs. Keep exercising as you can, walking is perfect, even when you feel you can't. I kept up tae kwon do (but some days could only do 20% of the class!) and I found that it helped. Also remember that your body is learning how to deal with the poisons, so it can be worse in the beginning because you don't really know what is coming...in that way it gets easier as times goes (more tired, less wary...) we love you! Remember, colace and milk of magnesia are your friends.....:0) Amy

    ReplyDelete