Thursday, April 23, 2009

Only a few more left

Well this week is almost over, just tomorrow's treatment and then one Tuesday and the following Tuesday, hopefully that is it!

As usual, this first week of the cycle has taken it's toll upon me, mentally and physically. My gut has been in turmoil, sleep compromised with battling gut and the medication they are giving me to make me pee a lot, but healthy kidneys are a good thing! Am looking forward to getting this out of my system this weekend and back to a 'normal' schedule. LOL.. but nothing has been normal for a while!

There was some concern on Tuesday as my lung function test came back and there was a slight decrease noted there. Dr. Heyer sent me for a chest X-ray first thing that morning and didn't see anything there, so he went out himself and recalculated the lung function test and thinks that when they did the calculations for the lung function they made a mistake. But heck, better to be safe than sorry. Really like how Dr. Heyer and Staff all around trying to whack the cancer, but not cause any other problems along the way and are being aggressive about keeping an eye on these other side effects.

So this means I get to have ANOTHER lung function test on Monday, last thing they want to do is have the Bleomycin damage my lungs. Otherwise been a mostly uneventful week thus far just working while getting Chemotherapy pumped into me.

On the upside only a few more treatments left, have a date for the follow-up CT scans to evaluate the effectiveness of the treatment. I will be having CT Chest, Abdomen & Pelvis on Monday May 18th. Given the Bleomycin, Dr. Heyer wants to have a good look at my chest/lungs to make sure things are good. I imagine that I'll be meeting with him later that week or early the following week to discuss the results and were we go from here, based on the CT scans.

Please keep the thoughts and prayers coming.. they are doing wonders. Can't wait to get started healing from the bashing my body has been taking from the Chemo!!

5 comments:

  1. Hugs and love!! West coast with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to do a clean shave in a couple of weeks and start your hair growth evenly. Remember even when you finish it will still need to cycle through your body. I was never more tired than the month following my final cycle! Throw yourself a little party, do something extravagant. You are emerging victorious from not only fighting a deadly disease, but fighting it with poisons that are devastatingly strong. You are indeed a warrior now....welcome to the club! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This comes as a big shock! I had no idea until tonite, so I will be loading up on the prayers for you, Marnie and the girls to make up for lost time. I am so glad that you have chosen to let us all know so we can at least pray...which I believe is the most powerful thing besides your positive outlook and you seem to have that in spades! Your strength is amazing! Love to you and your girls~ goldi & family

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's never fun to hear about a friend struggling, especially with cancer. I am glad though that you let us know. You seem very positive and I know that will be a tremendous help to your recovery. My prayers will go out to you and your family. I know soon you will be running with the girls with no shortness of breath as you will have recovered. May the Good Lord be with you. You will be in my many prayers Love Gary, Brittney, and Lil Gary who is not so little anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all -
    It's Jenn (sugz) - just found out myself this morning. I'm a little shocked, too. My prayers and positive thinking are with you. I am glad you made the blog to share all of this with us and I know you will put through just fine. You have a the right attitude about it and I have no doubt you'll be a survivor! Love, Sugz

    ReplyDelete